Mops are a must-have in every home. To rid your floor of dust, dirt and stain there is the need to mop regularly. Your floor type and family size can influence the frequency of your mopping sessions. For example, a ceramic floor may require more frequent use than an engineered hardwood floor.
There are also different kinds of mops. The spray mop, steam mop, microfiber mop and so on. They however all do one thing which is keeping your floor clean. Today, we review 8 mops that have stood out in their care for the engineered hardwood. We will look at their features, advantages and drawbacks.
Best Mop For Engineered Hardwood Floors
- Turbo Microfiber Mop Floor Cleaning System
- Bona Hardwood Floor Premium Spray Mop
- Gladwell Cordless Electric Mop
- Light ‘N’ Easy Multifunctional Steam Mops
- Swiffer Wetjet Hardwood Floor Spray Mop
- E-Cloth Microfiber Mop
- O-Cedar Easywring Microfiber Spin Mop
- Hurricane Spin Mop Home Cleaning System
The turbo microfiber mop is suitable for cleaning a wide range of flooring types. It is lightweight which makes it easy to work with. It does well in both wet and dry mopping of the floor. It comes with an adjustable handle that allows you to reach hidden corners of the floor. Also, it has a 360-degree spin head that picks dirt, fur and debris effortlessly. Furthermore, it has a scrub pad for tough adherent stains.
Features of the turbo microfiber mop floor cleaning system
- It comprises 1 mop head, 2 microfiber refills/pads, 2 scrubbing pads, 1 mop head and 1 mop handles.
- Mop head spins 360degrees and it is 17-inches large.
- Mop handle/pole is adjustable and made of aluminum.
Pros of the turbo microfiber mop floor cleaning system
- It is easy to use, assemble and disassemble.
- Has an adjustable handle that can extend up to 60inches which helps you reach far ends.
- Cleaning pads are machine washable so you save money on frequent replacement.
- The system is light-weight and suitable for both wet and dry mopping.
- The scrub pads are tough on dirt.
Cons of the turbo microfiber mop floor cleaning system
- Its aluminum handle tends to break easily.
- Its scrubbing pad is not suitable for engineered hardwood.
The bona hardwood floor premium spray mop is one of those famous mops that comes with a jet spray. The bona premium spray mop does an excellent job in caring for engineered hardwood floors. A striking feature is its large mop head. This extra-large head boosts its cleaning speed. It also has a secondary grip that makes maneuvering around your tables, chairs and cabinets pretty easy. Also, it has a retractable hook which complements its cleaning prowess as a spray mop.
Features of the bona hardwood floor premium spray mop
- It has a 16.5inch mop head with soft, flexible corners.
- Its microfiber cleaning pad provides double-zone cleaning. The outer fibers of the pad split the grime and its inner fiber absorbs the dirt.
- Has a 32oz cartridge filled with a solution suitable for cleaning engineered hardwood floors.
- Has aluminum poles covered in plastic at the middle and upper part. The poles snap in easily and are confirmed with a click sound.
- The unit has a retractable handle hook to aid easy storage.
Pros of the bona hardwood floor premium spray mop
- Extra-large mop head cleans faster.
- Easy to use and lightweight.
- Has flexible rubber corners, to protect your furniture from damages.
- Has a secondary grip and retractable hook.
- Cartridge is easy to refill.
- The microfiber pad is washable.
- Safe for polyurethane finished floors and unwaxed hardwood floors.
- Good price.
- Cleans well
Cons of the bona hardwood floor premium spray mop
- Possible cartridge leak can occur.
- Mop handle can break.
- May leave streak marks on the floor.
The Gladwell cordless electric mop has found its footing in the world of mops and floor cleaning systems. The Gladwell cordless electric mop comprises a spinner, scrubber and waxer put together in one unit. It is suitable for both engineered hardwood, laminate floors and several other flooring types. It has a dual-spin rolling system that rids dirt, debris and stains at a super-fast rate. Also, there is an LED light on it that brightens your path as you mop through the floor.
Features of the Gladwell cordless electric mop
- Has high powered dual motors that spin very fast. This feature allows it to pick out dirt easily from the floor.
- The glider works and cleans quietly at a sound of about 60decibels.
- Has multiple settings and functions options. You can switch to mopping, quick spraying or waxing easily.
- The cordless system is designed for easy use with its 3″ thin base. Its handle rotates at 180°. It has a durable battery that charges within 2hours.
- Its cleaning pads are microfiber.
Pros of the Gladwell cordless electric mop
- It makes cleaning easy, fast and fun.
- Microfiber pads are washable and reusable.
- Battery charges fast and lasts reasonably well.
- Suitable for many flooring types.
- Has LED light and is equipped with a liquid spray.
- It is cordless.
Cons of Gladwell cordless electric mop
- The rolling motors are high powered, you need a good grip on the mop when working with it.
- There is a tendency to mistakenly turn-off the mop while working.
- It may get stuck in a position sometimes.
- It tends to clog when used for waxing and polishing.
- It doesn’t scrub well enough.
Light ‘N’ Easy steam mop is one of those products that make cleaning even better. It is suitable for sealed floors. It has a smart sensor that releases the need amount of steam for cleaning a floor surface. The steam it gives off during mop sessions kills bacteria and removes the odour. Its flexible pole allows you to mops different areas on the floor. At the lower end of the unit, there is a tank where you add water before you begin mopping.
Features of the Light ‘N’ Easy steam mop
- Kills bacteria and removes stains with 212°F hot steam.
- It uses microfiber mop pads that allow floor surfaces to dry quickly.
- Has High, medium and low steam settings to suit various floor types.
- Smart switch releases needed steam as you push through the floor and stops when the unit is upright.
- Lightweight of 4.7pounds making it easy to use.
- Comes with a one-year warranty and a free replacement policy.
- Has a filling flask to help fill the water tank accurately.
Pros of Light ‘N’ Easy steam mop
- It has a 20-foot long power cord that allows it to reach the ends of the room.
- It makes cleaning smooth and easy.
- It is sturdy and lightweight.
- It is pet-friendly.
- Its ergonomic design handle makes it easy to maneuver.
- Has a compact design.
Cons of Light ‘N’ Easy steam mop
- Not suitable for heavy cleaning.
- Mop goes off on its own when it is motionless.
- Water in the reservoir for steam mopping depletes fast and can only be refilled when the unit cools off.
The Swiffer Wetjet wood spray mop is a mop suitable for hardwood and other flooring types. It has a dual nozzles sprayer for evenly sprinkling the floor with a cleaning solution.
Features of the Swiffer wetjet hardwood floor spray mops
- Specifically made for hardwood floors.
- Suitable for finished wood.
- The mop head has an LED light.
Pros of Swiffer wetjet hardwood floor spray mops
- It is lightweight and easy to use.
- It is easy to fix and remove pads.
- LED lights are available to brighten your paths.
- Operates with cordless technology and can be easily manoeuvred. It uses a battery.
- The wetjet cleaning solution dries up fast and leaves a nice fragrance.
Cons of Swiffer wetjet hardwood floor spray mops
- The handle feels weak and may easier snap from excess pressure.
- It may leave films/ streaks after mopping.
- Since pads are not reusable, you will need to frequently replace them.
- The spray may stop working.
The E-Cloth brand is known for its eco-friendly cleaning tools and products. The mopping system works with just water, you don’t need to add a cleaning agent. E-cloth mop can be used on both hardwood and laminate floors. It cleans the floor by removing dirt and germs from its surface. It has an aluminum handle. It weighs 1.4 pounds thus making it easy to push through the floor.
Features of E-Cloth microfiber mop
- It removes 99% of bacteria.
- It works without cleaning chemicals making it eco-friendly.
- Aluminum handle extends up to 5feet.
- It has washable microfiber pads.
Pros of E-cloth microfiber mop
- It cleans effectively and protects the floor.
- It is lightweight and easy to work with.
- Handle is adjustable to help reach the desired reach.
- It is environmentally-friendly and sustainable.
- Microfiber pads are reusable so it saves you the cost of frequent refills.
Cons of E-cloth microfiber mop
- Overtime handle extender may feel loose.
- Its mop pads can give squeaky sounds while mopping.
O-Cedar is a company that deals with cleaning products and tools. Its recent innovation is the O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber mop, a bucket flooring mop for household cleaning.
Features of the O-cedar EasyWring microfiber spin mop
- Has an automated mop bucket for easy wring.
- Mop head has a 360-degree spin ability.
- Mop handle extends 48″.
Pros of the O-cedar EasyWring microfiber spin mop
- Its microfiber mop absorbs well.
- Saves you the stress of bending to squeeze your mop.
- Easily reach far corners.
- Microfiber pads are washable.
- It is economical.
Cons of the O-cedar EasyWring microfiber spin mop
- The mop head is small.
- The foot pedal may get broken.
The hurricane spin mop is one mop that makes cleaning your hardwood floor easier than the average mop. Its bucket system with wringer spins the mop without getting your hands soaked from squeezing. Its mop head also absorbs liquid well. It also works well with any cleaning solution of your choice.
Features of the hurricane spin mop cleaning system
- Mop head spins 360 degrees.
- Has an automated wring mop bucket.
- Mop pad is made of microfiber.
Pros of the hurricane spin mop cleaning system
- Easy to use.
- Easy to assemble.
- Doesn’t leave streak marks when mopping.
Cons of the hurricane spin mop cleaning system
- Handle not extendable.
- Mop head can fall off.
- Foot pedal may get broken.
8 General Maintenance Tips for Mops
1. When you purchase a mop, you should read through its owner’s manual before assembling it. You can also watch a presentation video on how it is used. It will help you understand better how the mop works.
2. Microfiber mops are generally machine washable and reusable. However, avoid putting them in the dryer, you should let them air-dry instead. You should also ensure to change the mop pads every 3 months.
3. Do not use a fabric softener or bleach on the mops. But, If you do by accident you should have it rewashed with mild detergent at the highest temperature setting.
4. For the bucket mopping system, you should avoid pressing the pedals of the bucket too hard. Also, for the spray mop, you should avoid pressing the spray trigger too hard.
5. For mops with batteries, ensure they are fully charged.
6. For mops that use cleaning solutions, ensure to use only what the manufacturer recommends.
7. Ensure to safely store your mop when not in use.
8. Finally, avoid using the scrub pads on hardwood floors as they may leave scratches on the surface.
Some factors to bear in mind when purchasing mops for your floor
a. The product material:
No one wants a mop that breaks easily as it means extra cost. Products made of alloy tend to be more sturdy than just plastic. Some mops have handles made with aluminum and some with plastic. There are others made of some kind of metal covered with plastic.
Consider how easy it is to work with. You would want something that reduces the stress of moving furniture when mopping. Generally, mops with a bigger head cover more ground when mopping thus making your mopping session shorter. However, maneuvering mops with a large head may be difficult if you have lots of furniture.
How much dirt, debris, and fluid can the mop absorb? Microfiber mops are generally super-absorbent. They make cleaning easier and are suitable for most floor types. They can easily pick up debris from hidden spaces and corners.
d. Wringing Feature:
It is stressful to bend for a mop squeeze. Sometimes you just don’t like the idea of soiling your hands. You should consider getting a mop with a wringing feature. Several mops these days come with this added feature.
Your budget plays a role in your choice of a mop. Most mops with added convenience features are pricey. However, there are several mops out there that are efficient and affordable. Take your time to check out various mops. See their prices, their features and your personal needs so you can make the best choice for you.
Keeping your engineered hardwood floor free of grime is one way to increase its durability. A good mop and regular mopping session will help you keep your floor clean and attractive. This article should be beneficial in helping you choose the right mop for your floor.