( This Post Contains Affiliate Links and We May Receive A Small Commission on Purchases)

Does UV Light Kill Mold?

Does UV light kill mold? Sure it does. It kills mold and other bacteria and viruses. The ultraviolet light does more than killing bacteria. It is used in crime investigation for the detection of biological materials. Ultraviolet light can also be seen in the sun, which turns out to be vitamin D when we are exposed to the sun.

The ultraviolet light can cause burns and cancer if we expose ourselves beyond the required limit. With all these, killing molds would not be a big deal. Molds are a fungus that comes in small organisms that can be seen anywhere. They are mostly seen in a place where moisture is present. They come in orange, white, black, green and purple.

Molds help in the decomposition of dead trees and plants. Note that it is harmful when it gets to a home or factory. Spores are exposed to the air and people tend to inhale it. Too much of this exposure can cause cases of health issues. If you find a mold on your surface or food, then dispose of the food and clean with bleach and water. 

This UV light has a frequency higher than normal light. You can detect bacteria and disinfect water with it. UV light can kill mold through the electromagnetic radiation that it produces to be able to penetrate through organisms. They are trapped with a wavelength that kills the mold cell, preventing them from reproducing till they die.

 Instead of killing molds manually, you can install a UV light in a UV lamp in an HVAC system. The steps below will guide you to set up the process. 

Steps To Kill Mold With UV Light

Step 1. Buy a UV-C Lamp

The first step is to purchase a UV-C lamp. These lamps come in a variety of sizes.  Choose one that is suitable for your household. When handling this UV bulb, make use of gloves to protect your skin.

Step 2. Check Surfaces for Existence of Mold

This next step requires you to inspect all your surfaces where molds have been detected. Be vigilant about this step because if any mold is left behind it will spread more. By this, your efforts will be back to square one.

Step 3. Place the UV-C Lamp

When they are determined, then place the UV lamp in the right direction. Try to keep the UV-C lamp two inches away from the mold. Make sure you wear UV glasses to protect your eyes.  For this, a regular eyeglass would not work. 

Step 4. Eliminate any Source of Light

After the lamp is in position, then turn off any source of light in the room. Both Windows and doors will be shut to prevent any light from coming into the room. This process will help the UV light eliminate any traces of mold. Leave the room for 1-2 hours, and you have yourself a house free from mold. Make sure to repeat the same process when you find traces of mold.

 How Long Does It Take For UV Light TO Kills Mold

It takes 1 to 2 hours for UV light to completely kill mold on any surface. 

Manual Elimination of Mold

If you decide to kill molds using a manual method then you need to either use the method of killing the mold or using a fogging machine. Mix water with bleach and clean any surface that mold was detected. No spot should be left while doing and safety precautions must be taken to protect the skin.

Using a fogging machine, cold thermal foggers are the main machine for this. Prepare with an AC unit, then spray a disinfectant through the system to kill the mold. This method is effective as it can reach all corners. But it can damage the circuit board of the HVAC unit.

What Kills mold Naturally

Eliminating mold naturally is safer than using chemical substances to remove them, which can as well cause harm to your health. Mold can be killed naturally with basic things we use daily. These natural ways will not pose as harm to your pets and the environment generally.

1. Vinegar

For this method, you can choose to dilute your vinegar before using it on the mold or to spray it directly to the mold areas which is more effective. After the application, leave it for a few hours before scrubbing the surface with a brush.

It has been researched and recorded that vinegar tends to kill 82% of mold and can be used as a preventive measure by spraying it and leaving it on to dry. If in any case, you don’t like the smell, you can choose to add essential oil to it. Another option is to spray and go away and it will disappear once you return.

2. Tea Tree Oil Solution

This natural method can be expensive but two teaspoons of the tea tree oil mixed with two cups of water will do the magic. To use, spray the solution on the mold spores and leave it to dry. Don’t rinse it off. This natural remedy has a strong scent that will go off within some days.

3. Hydrogen Peroxide

Spray 3 percent of the hydrogen peroxide straight from its bottle to the mold spores and leave on for 10 minutes. Scrub after the waited minutes and wipe off the substance with a damp cloth. This natural remedy can be mixed with vinegar before application. Endeavor to store in a dark area as it tends to reduce its strength when exposed to light.

4. Citrus Seed Extract and Water

Take 20 drops of this citrus seed extract and dilute it with 2 cups of water. Pour directly into a spraying bottle and spray unto the mold. Do not rinse after the application. This natural remedy does not have a strong smell like others.

5. Baking Soda

Before its application, use vinegar and water to dilute or use just water alone. Spray onto the surface and allow it to stay on for a while. Scrub thereafter and wipe with a damp cloth. This natural remedy alone is a mild disinfectant and will therefore leave no traces of odor.

Does Mold Show up under a Blacklight

Yes. Mold can be seen with a blacklight. A blacklight makes tiny things that are not seen with human eyes visible. This is possible because of the long-wave ultraviolet light that comes with it. It is easy to locate and see mold with its black, grey or brown look, but some mold is not visible.

Why Does Mold Need Moisture

The growth of a mold depends solemnly on water or moisture. They breed in damp places. Even the air most times is damp when the humidity is above 80%, and some molds get water from the air.  Without moisture, a mold cannot grow. When a mold grows, they multiply and increase drastically. By this, any means of moisture in your home or anywhere it is located should be eliminated.

What Kind of UV Light Kills Mold

Sunlight contains Ultraviolet lights that kill mold. Thankfully, you don’t have to wait for the sun to come out before the process takes place. For your convenience, an ultraviolet germicidal lamp can destroy all bacteria, molds, viruses and yeast. Below are some of the UV Lamps that can kill mold.  

a. Short/Long-Wave UV Lamp

This lamp has 4 watts tubes and (254 and 364 nm). Each tube of this lamp makes a unique wavelength. It does not have traces of primary UV.

b. UV Germicidal Lamp

With this lamp, you will not contaminate your research laboratory, room and maybe food factories like the kitchen. This lamp is effective and efficient when it comes to killing bacteria, mold, yeast and viruses. The tube life lasts up to 2000 hours. The lamp emits 254 nm UV light.