Most times, when you paint your walls or during home improvement projects as time goes on, you tend to leave droplets of paint on your laminate floors. When this happens, we look for ways to get it off the floor. Getting it off can be hard if you do not observe the necessary procedures. You can wipe it off with water if you are lucky to see it before it dries up. But when it does dry up, it gets tough to clean.
People try using paint thinner or mineral spirits, but they are acidic. The fumes that come out from it are dangerous. Most chemicals are not the best option because it might complicate the situation. But following the right safer steps will guide you on how to get paint off the laminate floor.
Laminate floors are not easy prey to stains, dirt, or scratch. It is built with stain and scratch resistance that will not absorb stains easily. The top layer is built with aluminum oxide components and this feature enhances extra strength and moisture protection. Laminate floors still have chances of spoiling if care is not taken. While cleaning dried paints, make use of mild cleaners.
This will prevent the floor from damaging. A floor with laminate finishes will guarantee that paints cannot stick to the floor permanently on the floor. The paint that is mostly used is latex paint and you can remove it when it seeps into your laminate floor. These features of laminate floors make it easy for you to remove paint stains from your laminate floor.
You can get your paint off using the primary and extreme approach. It is advisable to apply a primary and less harsh method at first. This is because laminate floors are made with synthetic fibers that can damage if you expose them to harsh remedies. This guide will show you step by step instructions on how to get paint off a laminate floor with ease and no stress compared to other hardwoods.
HomeMade Paint Cleaning Solution
This method can remove paint stains from your laminate floor because it is an all-purpose paint lifter. The mixture helps lift paints off the floor. Rubbing alcohol and bar soap will get the paint. The water and vinegar will soften the paint.
· Using a broom or a vacuum cleaner, sweep the floor. This will enable you to concentrate on your workspace.
· Mix rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and water into a bucket or a bowl. It is important to mix the same amount of all ingredients that will be in use.
· Stir the mixture till it all blends well. Keep mixing all the ingredients for a while. Add drops of mild dish soap and continue to stir till it forms to lather.
· Dip a cloth or paper towel into the mixture and gently scrub the affected area. While scrubbing, use an elbow motion to scrub in a to and fro pattern.
· Once you get the paint to start going off, dip your piece of cloth in acetone and wipe off the surface. Leave the acetone on the surface of your laminate floor for five minutes because it will help to get the rest of the paint off.
Acetone Based Nail Paint Remover
This step is for tough stains that a homemade cleaner could not remove entirely. To carry out this method, you need a nail paint remover. An acetone-based nail remover is preferable. Acetone is used because it is petroleum-based alcohol that helps to get paints off the floor. If you see paint on the corners or edges, dip a cotton wool swab into your mixture and use it.
· Sweep the floor and make sure to clear the space you would be working on. You can make use of a broom or a vacuum cleaner while doing that.
· Put the acetone-based nail paint remover into a piece of clothes, napkin or cotton wool. Using the cloth, wipe off the surface of the laminate floor and leave for 5-10 minutes to allow the substance to mix well with the paint stain.
· There should be a need for reapplying the acetone-based nail paint remover to the floor. This is because the acetone evaporates when exposed to air.
· Try this process continuously till a change emerges and the paints start going off.
· The next step is to wash the floor with lukewarm water and clean off with a piece of dry rag or cloth. Using a tweezer, scrape off the remaining paint.
· When the stains are gone, wash the floor with a mixture of vinegar, bar soap and a running alcohol solution. Then allow the floor to dry.
Ammonia Based Cleaning Products
Ammonia is a water-like natural active agent used in household cleanings. It can be used as disinfectants, cleaning windows, tables among others. You should apply this method when the acetone-based nail remover did not work. Ammonia breaks down sulfur bonds present in paints.
· To make it, you will need to mix two tablespoons of cornstarch, half a cup of white vinegar and a half cup of ammonia in lukewarm water.
· Sweep the floor as usual and make sure your laminate floor is free from all specks of dirt using a vacuum cleaner or broom.
· Add the mixture into a container and spray the ammonia-based solution on the paint. Leave it to penetrate the paint for some minutes.
· Scrub the floor after waiting for some minutes with a clean piece of cloth. If you can still see traces of paint stains on your floor then spray the solution on it and leave for some minutes.
· If the paint starts fading away then use a brush with a soft bristle and scrub in a circular motion.
· Using lukewarm water, rinse the floor and dry. Keep repeating the steps to get all of the stains out.
If the steps above have been exhausted and the paint stain is not removed, then take up this step. Paint removers are produced to remove stubborn paints on any surface.
· Sweep the floor to make your working space look clean and tidy.
· Apply the paint remover on the paint spot and leave the desired minutes instructed by the manufacturer.
· Rinse off with warm water and dry using a cloth or towel.
Mineral Spirit or Paint Thinner
This is an extreme measure and should be considered as the last method to try out when all of the previous ones have failed. Extra caution is needed to pull out this method successfully without complications. Instructions on the label should be observed. The smell is harsh and it produces toxic fumes.
How to Get Dry Primer Off of Laminate Wood Floor
To get primer off your wood, you need to sand it, but with laminate wood, it is different because it is not wood. When you sand a laminate wood, you will ruin it. The primer can only get off with chemicals. You can get a primer off by using three methods which are:
Homemade cleaning solution: The first method is made with water, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and dish soap. Apply the mixture to the primer spot using a towel, wait for some minutes, and wipe off.
Paint remover: The second method is a paint and primer remover, but it can damage your finishing if not used with caution. The same process on the first method should be carried out in this method.
Paint thinner: The last method can only be carried out when other methods have proved negative. Make sure to ventilate the room because of the toxic fumes this chemical can release. If the stains are tough, then dampen a towel and place it on the primer, set to low heat and place it on top. Wait for 30 minutes before applying the paint thinner to the primer.
Is Goo Gone Safe for Laminate Floors
Yes, it is. Goo gone is nice and recommendable when laminate floors are in consideration. Goo gone does a good job in removing any sort of sticky mess on your laminate floor. If you have been bothered on how to get a pack of gum off your floor after many trials, then goo gone can do that job. It can get the sticky stuff off from plates and glass containers. It is a surface-safe formula that can get the sticky mess to where it belongs and still gets to protect your surface.
Laminate floors are sensitive and can pose a danger when the wrong materials and chemicals are used on it. With the high rate of sensitivity, goo gone still maintains that floor finish. It does not only work on laminate floors but any floor. It removes greasy messes and wine glass labels.
Act as a cleaner, both on tars and windows. Also, it can be of great use to teachers that battle with crayon mess left by kids in the classroom. It can serve collectors as well who remove stickers from items. It is made with a citrus powder and with this effect, it leaves long-lasting citrus scents when used. The maintenance level is great because it only takes soap and water to make it clean. Above all, it is pocket friendly.