Most times, when you paint your walls or during home improvement projects as time goes on, you tend to leave droplets of paint on your laminate floors. When this happens, we look for ways to get it off the floor. Getting it off can be hard if you do not observe the necessary procedures. You can wipe it off with water if you are lucky to see it before it dries up. But when it does dry up, it gets tough to clean.
People try to use paint thinner or mineral spirits, but they are acidic. The fumes that come out from it are dangerous. Most chemicals are not the best option because it might complicate the situation. But following the right safer steps will guide you on how to get paint off the laminate floor.
Laminate floors are not easy prey to stains, dirt, or scratch. It is built with stain and scratch resistance that will not absorb stains easily. The top layer is built with aluminum oxide components and this feature enhances extra strength and moisture protection. Laminate floors still have chances of spoiling if care is not taken. While cleaning dried paints, make use of mild cleaners.
This will prevent damages on the floor. A floor with laminate finishes will guarantee that paints cannot stick to the floor permanently on the floor. The paint that is mostly used is latex paint and you can remove it when it seeps into your laminate floor. These features of laminate floors make it easy for you to remove paint stains from your laminate floor.
You can get your paint off using the primary and extreme approach. It is advisable to apply a primary and less harsh method at first. This is because laminate floors are made with synthetic fibers that can damage if you expose them to harsh remedies. This guide will show you step by step instructions on how to get paint off a laminate floor with ease and no stress compared to other hardwoods.
a. HomeMade Paint Cleaning Solution
This method can remove paint stains from your laminate floor because it is an all-purpose paint lifter. The mixture helps lift paints off the floor. Rubbing alcohol and bar soap will get the paint. The water and vinegar will soften the paint.
· Using a broom or a vacuum cleaner, sweep the floor. This will enable you to concentrate on your workspace.
· Mix rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and water into a bucket or a bowl. It is important to mix the same amount of all ingredients.
· Stir the mixture till it all blends well. Keep mixing all the ingredients for a while. Add drops of mild dish soap and continue to stir till it forms to lather.
· Dip a cloth or paper towel into the mixture and gently scrub the affected area. While scrubbing, use an elbow motion to scrub in a to and fro pattern.
· Once you get the paint to start going off, dip your piece of cloth in acetone and wipe off the surface. Leave the acetone on the surface of your laminate floor for five minutes because it will help to get the rest of the paint off.
b. Acetone Based Nail Paint Remover
This step is for tough stains that a homemade cleaner could not remove entirely. To carry out this method, you need a nail paint remover. An acetone-based nail remover is preferable. Acetone is used because it is petroleum-based alcohol that helps to get paints off the floor. If you see paint on the corners or edges, dip a cotton wool swab into your mixture and use it.
· Sweep the floor and make sure to clear the space you would be working on. You can make use of a broom or a vacuum cleaner while doing that.
· Drop the acetone-based nail paint remover into a piece of clothes, napkin or cotton wool. Wipe the surface of the laminate floor with the cloth and leave for 5-10 minutes to allow the substance to mix well with the paint stain.
· You have to reapply the acetone-based nail paint remover on the floor. This is because the acetone evaporates when exposed to air.
· Try this process continuously till the paints start going off.
· The next step is to wash the floor with lukewarm water and clean off with a piece of dry rag or cloth. Using a tweezer, scrape off the remaining paint.
· When the stains are gone, wash the floor with a mixture of vinegar, bar soap and a running alcohol solution. Then allow the floor to dry.
c. Ammonia Based Cleaning Products
Ammonia is a water-like natural active agent used in household cleanings. It can be used as disinfectants, cleaning windows, tables among others. You should apply this method if the acetone-based nail remover doesn’t work. Ammonia breaks down sulfur bonds present in paints.
· To make it, you will need to mix two tablespoons of cornstarch, half a cup of white vinegar and a half cup of ammonia in lukewarm water.
· Sweep the floor as usual and make sure your laminate floor is free from all specks of dirt using a vacuum cleaner or broom.
· Add the mixture into a container and spray the ammonia-based solution on the paint. Leave it to penetrate the paint for some minutes.
· Scrub the floor after some minutes with a clean piece of cloth. If you can still see traces of paint stains on your floor, spray the solution on it and leave for some minutes.
· When the paint starts to fade away, use a brush with a soft bristle and scrub in a circular motion.
· Using lukewarm water, rinse the floor and dry. Keep repeating the steps to get all the stains out.
d. Paint Remover
This is another step to try. Paint removers are produced to remove stubborn paints on any surface.
· Sweep the floor to make your working space look clean and tidy.
· Apply the paint remover on the paint spot and leave for a couple of minutes as instructed by the manufacturer.
· Rinse off with warm water and dry using a cloth or towel.
e. Mineral Spirit or Paint Thinner
This is an extreme measure and should be considered as the last method to try out when all of the previous ones have failed. Extra caution is needed for this method. Instructions on the label should be observed. The smell is harsh and it produces toxic fumes.
How to Get Dry Primer Off of Laminate Wood Floor
To get primer off your wood, you need to sand it, but with laminate wood, it is different because it is not wood. When you sand a laminate wood, you will ruin it. The primer can only get off with chemicals. You can get a primer off by using any of the three methods below:
a. Homemade cleaning solution: The first method is to make a cleaning mix. The mix contains water, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and dish soap. Apply the mixture to the primer spot using a towel, wait for some minutes, and wipe off.
Paint remover: The second method is a paint and primer remover, but it can damage your finishing if not used with caution. The same process on the first method should be carried out in this method.
Paint thinner: The last method can only be carried out as a last resort. Make sure the room is ventilated because of the toxic fumes released by this chemical. If the stains are tough, then dampen a towel and place it on the primer. Set to low heat and place it on top. Wait for 30 minutes before applying the paint thinner to the primer.
Is Goo Gone Safe for Laminate Floors
Yes, it is. Goo gone can be used on Laminate floors. Goo gone comes in handy to remove sticky mess on your laminate floor. For instance, if you have been bothered on how to get a pack of gum off your floor, then goo gone can do that job. It can get the sticky stuff off from plates and glass containers.
So far, this post has outlined several methods you can apply to remove paint from your laminate floor. The first three methods will always get the job done. Only resort to the last method in extreme cases and ensure the room is well ventilated before you start the process.