The answer is yes. You can use a steam mop on vinyl plank flooring. The floors are known for their durability and resemblance to hardwood. However, you need to apply a few precautions to prevent damages that can result from overheating.
A steam mop is used on vinyl flooring because it thoroughly cleans the surface using a little amount of water. Ensure you vacuum or sweep the surface of the vinyl plank before it is steam mopped.
Research equally shows vinyl plank floors are an affordable alternative to hardwood. Vinyl plank is an option that’s popular among people who like the look of wood but want something more durable than some types of laminate and even solid wood.
Ways On How to use a steam mop on vinyl flooring
The steam mop is suitable for vinyl planks. Nevertheless, it’s essential to use it on the vinyl plank floor with some precautions. The paragraph below will show you all you need to know about using a steam mop to clean vinyl floors.
- First, get a steam mop that has variable setting options like a temperature control option. Then set the device at a low temperature. Then choose a lighter steam option than the scrub mode to prevent damaging the vinyl coating.
- Also, it’s a good idea to use a microfiber cloth on the head of the mop to prevent the vinyl floor from getting direct contact with steam. This should be done before the mopping of the floor.
- Additionally, you should use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt, tiny stones, and small particles before steam cleaning. Then move the mop repeatedly on the floor, so it doesn’t sit on it for a more extended period.
- Endeavor to wipe the floor every day to keep your vinyl floor clean. If you need to deep clean, use a steam mop on vinyl floors very carefully and occasionally.
Special Steam Mops Built For Vinyl Floors
There are many steam mop cleaners like the one that Shark makes that can be used safely on vinyl floors but with caution. When used correctly, you can reduce or altogether avoid the damage from the steam cleaning. Here is some steam mop to keep in mind:
The LIGHT ‘N’ EASY steam mop cleaner is the right choice for cleaning Vinyl plank flooring. It’s an affordable, effective, safe, and long-lasting steam device. Furthermore, it produces efficient steam within 20 seconds of heating time for cleaning the vinyl floor.
It can remove 99.9% of microbes, germs, and bacteria at your home without the use of Chemicals. After the completion of mopping, it takes 30 seconds for the floor to dry up. Hence your vinyl boards are not exposed to water or moisture for long.
This Shark steam cleaner is designed to work on vinyl flooring and also on hardwood floors. It effectively removes dirt and stains without any hassles. It also comes with the ability to produce a good amount of steam in changing environments.
Nevertheless, it can be used to clean vinyl flooring every day. As well as being an easy-to-use pocket cleaner, it is quite portable and light enough to reach narrow spaces and crevices.
This is one of the best steam mops out there in the market for cleaning of vinyl floors. Homeowners love it because of its zero tolerance for dirt. One benefit of using this steam cleaner on your vinyl flooring is that you can turn this floor cleaner into a handheld steam cleaner. Another advantage is that it is safe for children and pets. This is because it does not require the use of any harsh chemical to deep clean your vinyl flooring. Furthermore, the ThermaPro Cleaner can eliminate all stains on the vinyl flooring within a short period.
Click to Check Price on Amazon
SKG Hot Steam is one of the best steam mops widely available today. It comes with variable settings that can be optimized for different types of floors. You can use four other options differently: Min to Low is ideal for lighter cleaning, while High to Maximum settings is suitable for deep cleaning.
Furthermore, the steam mop can emit 1500 watts of powerful steam that clean stubborn stains and debris on the floor’s surface without leaving any trace of residue.
3 Factors To Consider When Searching For The Best Steam Mop For Vinyl Floors
i. Your Budget
The price of steam cleaners all tends to vary. This means you will find a very cheap steam cleaner or an expensive one with little or no challenge. So ensure you know how much you’re willing to let go to purchase a suitable steam mop for your vinyl plank flooring.
The next fact to consider is whether the steam mop allows you to adjust the amount of steam being emitted. Although their people who don’t care about this function, you will find it useful. One good thing is you have more control over the Steam mopping process.
Ensure you buy a steam mop that’s not only lightweight but also easy to move around. Versatility also means that it’s suitable for more than one-floor surfaces.
How To Clean Vinyl Flooring Without The Use Of A Steam Mop
If you have a regular steam cleaner that is not intended for use on vinyl, then you should stop exposing the vinyl floor to such a device. It should be noted that intense heat or moisture can permanently damage your vinyl flooring.
This can put you at the risk of voiding your warranty. You can avoid this by following the traditional methods of cleaning the vinyl floor with a damp cloth. The steps are enumerated below:
- First, you should use a broom or vacuum to sweep the floor to remove any loose dirt or large particles like sand and stone. Get rid of the beater bar from the cleaning device to prevent scratching the surface of the vinyl.
- Pour warm water into a bucket and also add liquid soap into it. Or better still, you can use a cup of vinegar mixed with a gallon of water.
- Now dip the cloth into the bucket and soak up the water. Tighten to remove excess water, and then clean the floor with a mop as usual.
- Wipe the surface dry with a microfiber cloth once you are done using a damp mop. Also, don’t forget to wipe off any soapy residue and excess moisture so that the floor won’t get slippery.
- Ensure you sweep or vacuum the floor every day and use a damp mop once a week.
If you follow the routines above correctly, you will not need or use a steam mop on your vinyl flooring.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a steam mop on waterproof vinyl plank flooring?
Yes, you can steam clean a vinyl plank floor with a steam cleaner. However, you can equally make use of a microfiber mop.
Do steam mops sanitize floors?
Steam cleaning, when used correctly, is a natural and effective way to remove tough stains and dirt. Additionally, the steam cleaning machine kills 99.9% of household germs, including E.coli, salmonella, and staphylococcus, as well as surface mold and dust mites.
Is the shark steam mop good for vinyl floors?
Most experts recommend the Shark Steam Mop Hard Floor Cleaner for the cleaning of vinyl flooring. It is also one of the best steam mops. The shark steam mop is known for its versatility, and besides, it is safe to steam mop any other hard flooring. You can use it to clean your marble, laminate, tile, and other sealed surfaces of the hard floor.
A steam mop cleaner is an ultimate device. It’s needed to remove dust grime, stains, dirt, and germs on your vinyl floors, upholstery, and other surfaces. Meanwhile, some experts don’t recommend the use of conventional steam cleaners on vinyl flooring.
But then, some specific models can be used safely without damaging the finish or weakening the adhesive. You will need to properly use a steam cleaner to restore shine and gloss to your vinyl floors by eliminating the dust, dirt, stains, and germs,